Thursday, September 1, 2011

Keeping Things in Scale

I love vintage scales.  I don't quite know what it is about them; I just think they're charming. Maybe it's the mix of beauty and function I find so alluring.   They're so versatile... you can use them in the kitchen, you can weigh packages on them, or they can serve as beautiful candle holders, picture frames or metaphorically-charged (or not) art objects.

Here are a few of my favourites...

I love this retro brown Soehnle scale...but sadly it doesn't work.

This Park Sherman office scale is from ModDom on Etsy:

This fabulous old postal scale belongs to stellabystar on Etsy.  It still accurately weighs packages of up to 50lbs!

Scale as picture frame; brilliant!  This one's from SugarCubeVintage on Etsy:

Here, the Pelouze Portion Controller from Allie Et Cie on Etsy:

And now... Scales and Apples!

This Pelouze postal scale is from Nells Vintage House on Etsy:

This charming American Family scale is from GlassnMore on Etsy:

This fantastic Forschner hanging scale is from VintageRetrievers on Etsy:

This amazing set of antique scales is from Bird In Hand on Etsy:

And, last but not least, I love the look of this Hanson kitchen scale, also from Bird In Hand on Etsy:


So, dear readers... which is your favourite?

5 comments:

  1. P.S. Looking for more fabulous vintage scales? Check out this Vintage Etsy Society discussion thread: http://www.etsy.com/teams/6269/vintage-etsy-society-street-team/discuss/8862600/page/1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love the look of these scales and the different ways to use them. Thanks for using my Forschner scale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog! Your photos are stunning - the lighting and white balance are so perfect. I love vintage - My grandmother used to take us hunting in Louisiana for good finds when we would visit. This post brings back such memories. Every scale is lovely and has such character, but I'm really drawn to the Hanson kitchen scale. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deborah! I was impressed by the creative ways in which people decided to display/use these scales, too.

    Everything Soap: Thanks for your comment! I wish I could take the credit for the beautiful photographs, but I "borrowed" them all from talented sellers on Etsy (well, all but the first, which is less than gorgeous to say the least). I love the Hanson kitchen scale, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... I just found a vintage scale at a yard sale and had to have it! I like that Forschner hanging scale a lot too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!